This course aims to increase your subject knowledge alongside your academic development through active learning. Your tutors will mentor you in applying your new skills in problem- and project-based modules. The new concepts and methods you will learn at each level of study will be linked by an ‘architectured’ approach, which is the creative integration of theories, tools, technologies, and methods, to produce solutions in computer science.
In your final year, you will study specialised subjects including artificial intelligence, data science and cyber security. You will work on real-world projects, and your solutions will have immediate commercial value.
This course also includes the opportunity for you to take a sandwich year between your second and third year of study. This is a year-long period of paid industrial training in the UK where you will hone your expertise, try out a potential career path, get relevant workplace experience that is valued by many.
On this course you will...
- Study in a brand-new, purpose-built facility with emerging technology to support your learning.
- Develop the technical knowledge and commercial and social awareness to be ready for an exciting career in computer science.
- Benefit from access to some of the world's major employers, who are right on the doorstep.
- Develop your professional skills alongside your academic study, with employability skills embedded in every module.
- Explore the broader responsibilities of computer scientists to society and the environment.
- Study a curriculum that was designed in collaboration with BAE Systems to ensure your degree is modern, relevant and future-proof.
Find out more about studying with us
Attend an Open Day at Cumbria
An Open Day is your opportunity to explore one of 5 campuses, meet your lecturers, and find out how the University of Cumbria could become your new home.