BA (Hons) - Games Design
Whether it's Nintendo's Super Mario Bros, Ion Storm's Deus Ex, or Rockstar's GTA V, all successful games throughout each generation are built on good game and level design, story-telling, 2D and 3D modelling and texturing.
This is the games design course for you, made to enable you to get ready for a career in the multi-billion pound games industry. Spark your imagination and let that creativity run riot at our dedicated arts campus.
Turn your ideas into exciting new games. Seventy-five percent of your course is practical – designing, developing and creating new game experiences to create a portfolio for future employers.
This games design degree is all about the art and design work related to video games, creating storyboard concepts and turning them into playable prototypes. You’ll gain the skills to compete in this growing industry.
Industry-standard 3D and games engine software will help you develop essential skills including drawing, modelling, texturing and using the games engine. Our dedicated arts campus will allow you to mix with other creatives, allowing you to work on joint projects and develop your own network of creative practitioners.
On this course you will...
- Have regular guest lectures with industry professionals.
- Study game design and development with access to dedicated games design labs and industry-standard software, providing a friendly, collegiate and supportive environment.
- Learn computer games-specific topics like drawing and concept art, character design, environment design, 3D modelling, texturing, level design, and game theory.
- Have the opportunity to take trips outside of the lab to gain inspiration and improve creative thinking. In previous years, they have included games expo - EGX and Develop: Brighton.
- Develop a wide range of transferable digital skills allowing you to take up a number of internships during your studies.
- Have access to borrow our motion capture software and VR headsets.
Student and Alumni Work
Carlisle - Brampton Road Campus
Located just outside the city, right on top of Hadrian's Wall, the Brampton Road campus is full of history, buzzing with excitement, creativity, and a sense of endless possibility. The home of creators, entertainers, rule breakers, and change-markers.Find out more
Find out more about studying with us
Attend an Open Day at Cumbria
An Open Day is your opportunity to explore one of 5 campuses, meet your lecturers, and find out how the University of Cumbria could become your new home.