BSc (Hons) - Games Development*
The BSc (Hons) Games Development degree focuses on the creative development, design, and production aspects of computer games development. Situated within the suite of creative digital programmes offering you the opportunity to collaborate in an authentic creative production pipeline environment working with games designers, animators, special effect students, along with the wider Media Arts and Institute of Arts community.Apply
Working in multi-disciplinary (creative and technical) teams through the development of computer games. BSc Games Development combines technology and creativity in a multidisciplinary way. The game industry continues to be an expanding and challenging sector with continually evolving ideas and cutting-edge technologies. This course covers the major technical aspects of the computer game development process from design to production. It aims to prepare students for a career in Game Industry with a particular emphasis on computer game development. The course provides students with a solid understanding of game technologies including programming, computer graphics, and game engines.
*this programme is subject to validation.
On this course you will...
- Work on industry-led briefs allowing you to develop your autonomy, creativity and professionalism for your chosen specialism.
- Understand programming principles and their relation to coding development, and demonstrate developing games for new platforms and their associated operating systems.
- Be encouraged to take a critical and analytical approach to gameplay narrative and storytelling through the simulation of collaborative studio working groups, lectures and group critique sessions.
- Undertake group projects which will simulate the workflow of a professional studio, and be introduced to a range of research methodologies and approaches.
- Attend workshops with guest speakers - adding value to your learning experience where you can share your work with the professionals through activities and screenings.
- Be introduced to a range of new game interfaces and developing technologies, giving you confidence in new technical competencies with forms of interaction.
Student and Alumni Work
Carlisle - Brampton Road Campus
Located just outside the city, right on top of Hadrian's Wall, the Brampton Road campus is full of history, buzzing with excitement, creativity, and a sense of endless possibility. The home of creators, entertainers, rule breakers, and change-markers.Find out more
Find out more about studying with us
Attend an Open Day at Cumbria
An Open Day is your opportunity to explore one of 5 campuses, meet your lecturers, and find out how the University of Cumbria could become your new home.