BA (Hons) - Animation and Visual Effects
Animation and visual effects (VFX) is a constantly evolving industry at the forefront of media output in the UK in film, television, and games industries.
This visual effects degree is built around core principles of inclusivity, storytelling and studio practice to enable engagement with an exciting, dynamic industry. With a vocational focus, our BA (Hons) Animation and Visual Effects is centred around developing industry skill set and technique, exploring research-informed creative industry practice, critical thinking, and graduate employability.
On this animation and VFX degree course, you will gain practical experience of industrial workflows and methodologies as they relate to animation and visual effects. You will be shown the skills required to undertake self-directed research for the continued development of animation skills and for life-long learning should you choose to pursue postgraduate study after your degree.
Designed to build competency in the first level, specialisation in the second, and independence in the third, this animation and visual effects course will enable you to gain a job in animation or progress to further study.
The programme ensures you are fully prepared for the rapidly changing social and technological contexts in which you will work. A vital part of this is to equip you to make informed choices in your creative use of digital technology, in your professional practice, eventual careers in animation and VFX, and as lifelong, independent and interdependent learners.
On this course you will...
- Gain knowledge and understanding of current professional production practices and technologies in the animation and visual effects industry, and a critical perspective that puts you in a position to shape the future of the creative industries.
- Develop nascent interests, technical knowledge and skill set in animation and VFX, to a level that is consistent with a graduate profile of an emerging professional in the creative industries, or that will facilitate postgraduate study.
- Leave with a portfolio of work from your VFX course, demonstrating technical proficiency, specialism, and skill set in computer animation and visual effects.
- Have access to workshop and studio spaces for traditional animation production and physical, on-set and location production that require specific resources such as rostra and lighting.
- Benefit from guest speakers and workshops, which offer added value to your learning experience, where you can share your work with professionals through workshop activities and screenings.
- Gain experience in live brief and external work – engagement with enhanced professional experiences sometimes external to course and module delivery.
Student and Alumni Work
Carlisle - Brampton Road Campus
Located just outside the city, right on top of Hadrian's Wall, the Brampton Road campus is full of history, buzzing with excitement, creativity, and a sense of endless possibility. The home of creators, entertainers, rule breakers, and change-markers.Find out more
Find out more about studying with us
Attend an Open Day at Cumbria
An Open Day is your opportunity to explore one of 5 campuses, meet your lecturers, and find out how the University of Cumbria could become your new home.