Want to break into the film and TV industry? Then this innovative and highly-practical course - with a roll call of students who’ve scooped Royal Television Society Awards – will boost your quest.
You’ll rapidly develop high-level technical, creative and professional skills through hands-on studies to produce quality films and television programmes.
Every week you’ll be out planning, shooting or editing a film, working on a wide range of projects - from commercials to documentaries; scripts to multi-camera productions; short films to music videos.
Curious about what happens on our course and campus? Follow our Film & TV social media channels and visit our 2020 Vision Student Showcase.
Partners & Memberships
Your Career with a Film and TV Degree
We aim to see you become a highly-proficient and career-ready practitioner, armed with an impressive portfolio of work to present to future employers and stand out from the crowd.
Our track record speaks for itself – graduates have gone onto work for Disney, BBC, ITV. Nickelodeon and Ridley Scott Associates. So if you want to kick-start your career in the film and TV industry, this course is for you.
Why Choose University of Cumbria
The stunning landscape makes Cumbria a popular location for professional film and TV companies – in recent years it has hosted Star Wars: The Force Awakens, Snow White and the Huntsman, World War Z, The Avengers: Infinity War and Netflix series The Witcher.
And, because of our great links with major film companies, students get the chance to work on large-scale professional productions, getting first-hand experience, which has led to work offers.
- 75% of your learning will be in practical sessions, so you get every opportunity to create a brimming portfolio of quality work to present to a future employer
- Our tutors come directly from the industry and bring with them the latest industry techniques, workflows and knowledge
- Learn industry-specific processes to gain a solid and diverse skillset needed to enter the film and TV industry
- Plenty of chance for you to be creative and develop your own style by exploring genre, story structure and studying film grammar
- Visits from professional TV practitioners and filmmakers means you great the chance to make great industry contacts
- Learn current professional practice and to operate the equipment used by industry professionals
- Boost your future job prospects by learning entrepreneurial skills – how to market yourself, how to get your work seen and the skills you need for self-employment
- Full access to up-to-date production facilities
- Access to AV media resource areas housing all the technology you need to complete your film and television projects, including professional video-editing suites, cameras and sound recording equipment
- Create a minimum of 10 portfolio-ready pieces of work you will be proud to present to employers
You will study on our dedicated Brampton Road campus - a friendly and vibrant arts environment - where you will live and learn with fellow creative students.
The site overlooks the river Eden and border city of Carlisle, with Scotland a short distance in one direction and the stunning Lake District National Park - a UNESCO World Heritage site - in the other. Add to that the spectacular Solway Coast, a designated Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and you’ll never be stuck for inspiration.
We offer our students, like you, all of this and help every step of the way to provide the very best start to break into this competitive, exciting and rewarding industry.
And, it is beneficial because our students have beaten off strong competition to win Royal Television Society (RTS) awards every single year - in 2016 University of Cumbria Film and TV students won 4 out of 6 regional student RTS awards.
So, if film and TV is your future, here is the place to start.
Course Study Options
We also offer this course with an integrated foundation year.