There’s a great demand for qualified social workers, so if you're looking to get involved, now is the time.
Our course is designed so that you can be a confident and fully-qualified graduate, capable of handling all areas of social work to make a positive difference to vulnerable and disadvantaged people.
Why Choose University of Cumbria
We have a great reputation and are highly-regarded for our social work provision – with many of our students successfully join Cumbria County Council’s social work academy scheme.
Our course will challenge you academically, but you won’t just learn the theory, you’ll get a good insight into the profession through 170 days of professional placements, simulated home visits and hospital meetings, talking to people in the care system and current professionals.
Our aim is to see you learning about social work by doing as much as possible practically.
- You’ll be eligible for a £500 bursary if you apply between 1 July and 30 September 2017
- Our course is accredited by the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC)
- You’ll be eligible to apply for registration with HCPC after graduating
- You’ll get two placements - 70 days in the second year and 100 days in the third - to gain real-world experience in social work and bolster your CV and job prospects
- Our great connections with local authorities, charities and health care providers enhances your placement and career prospects
- All of our tutors are qualified social workers or have a social care background
- Tutors have published books and are involved in research which makes your learning current and informed by best practice
- You’ll boost your hands-on experience of social work with our modern facilities, including; our mock house to simulate home visits and hospital wards for practicing hospital discharge meetings
- Boost your care skills by meeting people in the social care system and learning about their experience
- You’ll learn to work as a team and develop leadership skills to manage a team to boost your future career
- You’ll be located at our Carlisle Fusehill Street campus - within 30 minutes of Scotland in one direction and the stunning Lake District National Park in the other. So, you’ll never be stuck for something to do outside of your studies.
Our practical ethos will see you apply your academic know-how to the workplace, enhancing your abilities on the job and standing your CV out from the crowd for a successful start in social work.
Special offer for 2017
All students on eligible Social Work and Social Care courses will receive a £500 bursary if they apply between 1 July and 30 September 2017.