You’ll examine the theory of physical education, sport and coaching science across education, leisure and community sectors. You’ll build on this with a focus on teaching and coaching. A learn-and-do ethos will see teaching complemented by practical sessions whilst experience in schools, clubs and community groups will provide real-world application. Completing 50 hours of work experience will prove invaluable for your CV.
You’ll receive the support of industry-sourced professionals and have access to facilities including a sports hall and performance laboratories, Salt Ayre leisure centre and Brathay Hall and estate. You may be eligible for additional qualifications including coaching awards.
Fast track your job hunt with our industry links, which include professional sport clubs and national governing bodies of sport. You’ll have numerous career options upon graduation including sport coaching, teaching, sport development, performance analysis and event management.
On this course you will...
- Gain academic and vocational key skills through both classroom and community engagement projects linked to specific modules.
- Be taught in small class sizes which means you get to know your class and tutors well, allowing you to feel supported during your studies.
- Gain CIMSPA accreditation boosting your graduate prospects and gain free qualifications recognised by industry during your studies.
- Have access to an extensive range of partner organisations in sport including Active Cumbria, Active Lancashire and Golf England facilitating learning opportunities, guest speakers and placements.
- Follow the successes of our graduates who have pursued careers in PE teaching, sport development, event management, high-performance coaching and community coaching roles.
Find out more about studying with us
Attend an Open Day at Cumbria
An Open Day is your opportunity to explore one of 5 campuses, meet your lecturers, and find out how the University of Cumbria could become your new home.