On this radiography course, you'll gain a firm grounding in anatomy and the applied science relevant to medical imaging. Our digital imaging labs provide you with initial hands-on experience in a safe, modern digital imaging environment.
Our facilities feature new, cutting-edge clinical imaging equipment including our Siemens x-ray rooms, newly installed at both campuses in April 2023, and AGFA x-ray rooms which were completed at the end of 2022.
You’ll spend around 50% of your time in placements covering a range of clinical imaging techniques such as projectional radiography, computerised tomography, and magnetic resonance imaging with some clinical time in additional areas such as radionuclide imaging, ultrasound and mammography.
You’ll have the opportunity to focus on a specific imaging modality to attain competencies and additional experience in year three. Industry-active tutors will teach you current knowledge and insight. The department has links with leading specialist centres such as The Christie Hospital, one of Europe’s leading cancer centres.
On this course you will...
- Balance your academic study with approximately 42 weeks of clinical placements throughout your course, giving you the hands-on experience needed to become a radiographer. These placements will mostly be based in NHS hospitals, but independent sector medical imaging service providers are also used.
- Develop your skills in our labs using 'live' X-ray equipment which replicates the real-life clinical experience you'll get on placement.
- Be taught in small groups allowing for a supportive learning experience during your radiography degree.
- Work with newly updated, cutting-edge clinical imaging technology.
- Gain experience in a wide range of imaging modalities such as MRI, CT, plain film radiography and Radionuclide Imaging.
Find out more about studying with us
Attend an Open Day at Cumbria
An Open Day is your opportunity to explore one of 5 campuses, meet your lecturers, and find out how the University of Cumbria could become your new home.